Your vehicle’s title is one of the most crucial pieces of documentation in New Mexico, if not the most important. It serves as proof of ownership in the state and enables you to transfer ownership, sell your vehicle, or register it in another state. Obtaining a replacement title is crucial if your car is lost or stolen. The registered owner, legal owner, successor in interest, or legal representative is authorized to request a duplicate title for the vehicle.
How to Get or Replace a Duplicate New Mexico Title
To obtain a replacement title in New Mexico, you can request one by mail or in person at any MVD field office.
How much does it cost to get a duplicate title in New Mexico?
Replacing a New Mexico title costs $5.00.
Items Required to Get a Duplicate New Mexico Title
To get a duplicate title, you must complete an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MVD-10901). Don’t forget to bring your New Mexico driver’s license or a valid photo ID as proof of identification. If you’re applying by mail, you can send a photocopy of your license. Additionally, you’ll need to provide the most recent registration certificate or a photocopy if you’re applying by mail.
Other items you may need:
- Current Vehicle Registration Certificate
- License Plate Number
- Vehicle’s VIN, Year, Make, Model, Body Type, and Color
- Title Number
- If the original title reflects an outstanding lien, the applicant must provide a Release of Lien or the Duplicate Title will be mailed to Lienholder.
- If the applicant is the owner’s legal representative, proof of Power of Attorney must be provided.
How to Get a Duplicate New Mexico Title In Person
To replace a title in person, you must:
- Locate the nearest New Mexico MVD field office. You can schedule an appointment online in advance.
- Show ID and proof of vehicle ownership.
- Submit your Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MVD-10901).
- Pay the $5.00 title fee.
How to Get a Duplicate New Mexico Title by Mail
- Fill out your Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MVD-10901).
- When two individuals are listed as owners on a title, each one must sign the application for a duplicate. The duplicate title will then be sent to the first individual listed on the title.
- Include an accepted form of payment for the $5.00 title fee.
- Send the form and payment to the address listed below:
Vehicle Service Bureau
P. O. BOX 1028
Sante Fe, New Mexico 87504-1028
By mail, payment methods accepted are:
- Money Order
Ensure you write the recipient as Motor Vehicle Division when you pay.
NOTE: If you are applying for a Duplicate Title by mail and the original title is already on file with no lien, the copy of the title will be sent to the address on record in New Mexico. However, if you want the title sent to a different address, please provide a pre-addressed envelope with the correct address.
How long does it take to get a duplicate title in New Mexico?
Your application will take one to two weeks to process, regardless of whether it was submitted via mail or in person. The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division will mail you the duplicate title.
|Form Name||Form Number||Description|
|Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title||Form MVD-10901||This form is used to request a duplicate vehicle title from the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division.|