Is there a problem with your vehicle’s Missouri title? Was it misplaced, damaged, or stolen? If so, you should apply for a duplicate Missouri title through Missouri’s Division of Motor Vehicles.
If you ever intend to transfer ownership of your vehicle, having the title in order is important. This is the legal document that proves you own the vehicle. You can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals without it, so keep it safe!
What will I need to get a duplicate title in Missouri?
To obtain a replacement title in Missouri, you must gather all of the necessary information and documents, which include the following:
- A Completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108)
- In the owner section of the application, a Missouri address must be indicated.
- Mark the “DUPLICATE” box at the top of the form to indicate that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- Indicate the reason for the duplicate title in the “Duplicate Title Only” section near the bottom of the form.
- Make sure the form is notarized. A notary public must witness your signature, and the notary must complete the notarization box in the “Duplicate Title Only” block.
- You must return the mutilated title with your application if you are applying for a duplicate title because your original title was mutilated.
- The Vehicle’s Year, Make & Model
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and/or Missouri Title Number and/or License Plate Number
- Odometer Disclosure
- Vehicle Registration (for Proof of Ownership)
- Acceptable Identification (such as a Driver’s License or an ID Card)
- Name, Social Security Number, Address and Date of Birth
- $8.50 Duplicate Title Fee and a $6.00 Processing Fee
What if there is a lien on the vehicle when I apply for a duplicate Missouri Title?
If your vehicle has a lien at the time of application, a notarized Lien Release (Form 4809) is required.
How can I apply to get a duplicate title in Missouri?
In Missouri, you can apply for a duplicate title in person, or by mail.
Apply by Mail
For mail applications, include a filled out copy of the Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108) as well as the $8.50 application fee and $6.00 processing fee.
Make your check or money order out to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Personal checks must show your name, driver license number or social security number (SSN), date of birth, daytime telephone number, and address.
Send your form and fee to:
Motor Vehicle Bureau
301 West High Street, Room 370
PO Box 100
Jefferson City, MO, 65105-0100
Apply in Person
Bring the filled out copy of the Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108) as well as the $8.50 application fee and $6.00 processing fee (via cash, check or credit card) to a local Missouri License Office.
How long does it take to get a replacement title in Missouri?
After submitting your application, you should expect to receive the title within 4 to 6 weeks, though it may arrive sooner. You can use this online inquiry form if your application is taking too long.
Missouri Vehicle Title Forms
|108||Application for Missouri Title and License||This is the Missouri DOR application for an original title and/or registration, duplicate title, registration renewal, or transfer of license plates.|
|4809||Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to Add/Remove Name from Title||This form is used to notify the Missouri DOR of a change in a lien on your vehicle title (addition or removal). The lienholder must notarize and complete the form.|