Connecticut Vehicle Title Replacement: Get a Duplicate CT Title

Looking to get a Connecticut (CT) car title replacement or duplicate? This article provides information about the Connecticut replacement title process.
Connecticut Vehicle Title Replacement: Get a Duplicate CT Title | PutInYourVIN.com

Is there a problem with your vehicle’s Connecticut title? Was it misplaced, damaged, or stolen? If so, you should apply for a duplicate Connecticut title through Connecticut’s Division of Motor Vehicles.

If you ever intend to transfer ownership of your vehicle, having the title in order is important. This is the legal document that proves you own the vehicle. You can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals without it, so keep it safe!

What will I need to get a duplicate title in Connecticut?

To obtain a replacement title in Connecticut, you must gather all of the necessary information and documents, which include the following:

  • A Completed Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (Form H-6B)
    • Complete Sections 1 and 3.
    • This form will need to be signed by the owner(s), lienholder, or legal representative.
    • If a lien is listed on the title, a lien release letter must be submitted with this form.
  • The Vehicle’s Year, Make & Model
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and/or Connecticut Title Number and/or License Plate Number
  • Odometer Disclosure
  • Vehicle Registration (for Proof of Ownership)
  • Acceptable Identification (such as a Driver’s License or an ID Card)
  • Name, Social Security Number, Address and Date of Birth
  • $25.00 Duplicate Title Fee

NOTE: If you have misplaced your title and you are selling your vehicle to a Connecticut resident, you will also need the following:

  • A Completed Original Connecticut DMV Supplemental Assignment of Ownership Form (Form Q1). This form is available at your local DMV office.
    • Transfer of ownership will not be valid unless Form Q1 Supplemental Assignment of Ownership is included.

What if there is a lien on the vehicle when I apply for a duplicate Connecticut Title?

If your vehicle has a lien at the time of application, a lien release letter needs to be provided with Form H-6B.

How can I apply to get a duplicate title in Connecticut?

In Connecticut, you can apply for a duplicate title online, in person, or by mail.

Apply Online

To apply for a replacement Connecticut title online, visit CT.gov’s online service.

Apply by Mail

For mail applications, include a filled out copy of the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (Form H-6B) as well as the $25.00 application fee. Make your check or money order out to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.

Send your form and fee to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Attention:  Specialized Registry Services, Room 305
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06109

NOTE: It may take up to 90 days to receive your duplicate title if you apply by mail.

Apply in Person

Schedule an appointment and bring the filled out copy of the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title (Form H-6B) as well as the $25.00 application fee (via cash, check or credit card) to a local DMV.

How long does it take to get a replacement title in Connecticut?

After submitting your application, you should expect to receive the title within 15 business days, though it may arrive sooner.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ready to Leave?

Come to us last to get the

Most Cash

PutInYourVin.com - Sell My Car and Get Cash

We beat or Match our competitor's Actual Offers.

We are ready to buy your car. Just PutInYourVIN to get started!