Alaska Vehicle Title Replacement: Get a Duplicate AK Title

Looking to get a Alaska (AK) car title replacement or duplicate? Click here to read about the Alaska replacement title process.
Alaska Vehicle Title Replacement: Get a Duplicate AK Title | PutInYourVIN.com

Is there a problem with your vehicle’s Alaska title? Was it misplaced, damaged, or stolen? If so, you should apply for a duplicate Alaska title.

If you ever intend to transfer ownership of your vehicle, having the title in order is important. This is the legal document that proves you own the vehicle. You can’t sell it, donate it, or complete your vehicle registration or renewals without it, so keep it safe!

How can I get a duplicate title when my vehicle was last titled in Alaska?

The lienholder or the vehicle owner on record, when there is no lienholder, may apply for a duplicate title if the original has been lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated or becomes unreadable.

To apply for a duplicate title, the following items are required:

Other items you may need include:

  • Driver’s License or ID Card
  • License Plate Number
  • Vehicle’s VIN, Make, Model, and Year
  • Vehicle’s Registration Proof of Ownership
  • Any Lien Details and Power of Attorney (if applicable)

This procedure is only applicable to Alaska-issued titles. If a person loses an out-of-state title, they must apply to the issuing state for a duplicate title.

Furthermore, this procedure does not apply to a title that is not easily accessible, such as one that is locked in a safe deposit box or one that is stored or shipped in household goods. If a person owns the title or knows where it is, they should not sign an Affidavit of Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed Title. They may face criminal charges if they do so.

Replacing/Duplicates In-Person

Getting a duplicate Alaska title in-person requires you to:

  1. Locate your local Alaska DMV.
  2. Show proof of ID.
  3. Submit your notarized Affidavit of Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Title (Form 809).
  4. Pay the application fee.

Your request to replace your title in Alaska is handled right there. The document will be sent by mail to the address on the application in about a week or two.

Replacing/Duplicates by Mail

If you are unable to display and print the Affidavit of Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed Title (Form 809) and cannot obtain it at a DMV office, you may simply write a letter requesting a duplicate title.

  1. Complete the Affidavit of Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Title (Form 809) and have it notarized.
  2. Include a check or money order to the DMV.
  3. Provide any applicable vehicle documents.

The following information must be included in the letter:

  • Your Name (Printed)
  • Complete/Correct Serial Number (VIN)
  • Description of the Vehicle that you need the Title for
  • Signature (Must be Notarized)

Send the letter to the following address:

State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
3901 Old Seward Highway, Suite 101
Anchorage, AK 99503

Your new title should arrive by mail in about a week or two.

What is the cost to get a duplicate Alaska certificate of title?

When you file for a duplicate Alaska vehicle title, you will be charged a $15 duplication fee.

How can I get a duplicate title when my vehicle was last titled outside of Alaska?

The vehicle’s registered owner must apply for a duplicate title through the state where the vehicle was previously titled.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ready to Leave?

Come to us last to get the

Most Cash

PutInYourVin.com - Sell My Car and Get Cash

We beat or Match our competitor's Actual Offers.

We are ready to buy your car. Just PutInYourVIN to get started!