If you have misplaced, damaged, or had your Virginia vehicle title stolen, don’t worry. Acquiring a duplicate title in the state of Virginia is a straightforward process. In this article, we’ll walk you through the necessary steps to get a duplicate title, so you can have peace of mind and get back on the road.
Steps to Obtain a Duplicate Title in Virginia
Step 1: Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for a duplicate title in Virginia, you must be the owner of the vehicle, and the vehicle must be titled in the state. If you have a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder must apply for the duplicate title on your behalf.
Step 2: Gather the required documents
Before applying for a duplicate title in Virginia, you’ll need to gather the following documents:
- A completed Application for a Duplicate Title (VSA 67)
- Proof of your identity, such as a valid driver’s license, passport, or military ID
- If applicable, a Lien Release (SUT 4) or other documentation from the lienholder authorizing the issuance of a duplicate title
Step 3: Pay the application fee
The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) charges a $15 fee for processing a duplicate title application. Accepted payment methods include cash, check, money order, or major credit cards.
Step 4: Submit your application
There are three ways to submit your application for a duplicate title in Virginia:
- In-person: Visit your local Virginia DMV office and submit your application and required documents. You can find the nearest DMV location using the DMV’s online service here.
- By mail: Mail your completed application, required documents, and payment to the Virginia DMV at the following address:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269-0001
- Online: If you have no lien on your vehicle and your address is up to date with the DMV, you can apply for a duplicate title online through the Virginia DMV’s website.
Processing Time and Receiving Your Duplicate Title
The processing time for a duplicate title in Virginia typically takes around 15 days. However, if you apply in-person at a DMV office, you can pay an additional $5 fee for expedited processing, which reduces the wait time to just a few days.
Your duplicate title will be mailed to the address on file with the DMV. If you’ve moved recently, make sure to update your address with the DMV before applying for a duplicate title.
Obtaining a duplicate title in Virginia is a simple process that involves filling out the necessary forms, providing the required documentation, and paying the application fee. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you’ll have your duplicate title in hand in no time.
Remember, always keep your vehicle title in a safe place to avoid the need for a duplicate title in the future.
Duplicate title Virginia, Virginia DMV duplicate title, Replacement vehicle title VA, Lost car title Virginia, VA title replacement guide, Step-by-step duplicate title, Vehicle ownership documentation, Virginia title application process, DMV title fees Virginia, Obtain duplicate title VA